Thursday, January 7, 2010

What can I do to prevent soy milk or oat cream (my favorites) from flocculating in hot liquids (coffee, tea)?

I use soy milk and oat cream because of their taste and their ability to foam (and because they are widely available around here).





Only sometimes I will get lots of little flocs in my coffee/tea, instead of creamier taste. This happened to both soy milk and oat cream (and I was sure that oat cream does not flocculate, sigh...), has something to do with hot water, but what? And how to prevent this ALWAYS?





( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flocculate )What can I do to prevent soy milk or oat cream (my favorites) from flocculating in hot liquids (coffee, tea)?
I switched to rice milk.





Soy is fine if you want your coffee tepid, and quickly pour enough soy milk in to bring the temp right down.





However...





It doesn't work with flavored coffees. It's like instant miso. I just have to keep stiring the whole time.





The option is to use one of those chemical laden ';blended'; soy milks. A lot of them based on canola oil which is genetically altered so I won't use it.What can I do to prevent soy milk or oat cream (my favorites) from flocculating in hot liquids (coffee, tea)?
Try getting a shaker so that you can pour the milk in it everytime before you use it and shake it. When milk settles it develops particulate that breaks up the foam. You also have to use soy milk up pretty fast because their's only about a week before it goes bad. Also hemp milk foams really well.


Maybe you can try that and see if you like it better.

No comments:

Post a Comment